Thursday, February 2, 2012


My oldest tomcat, Nomot, had been acting quite strangely for the past two weeks. He ate a little and stayed most of the time at home sleeping on my table. He only went out of the house for a while and he would be back not long after that. He did not show any symptoms that he was sick but it was clear that he was not his usual self. He did not even fight with Milo, a big grey cat that often sneaked into my house to steal food. Friday had always been a special day for him. He knew I would be going to the 'pasar malam' in my housing area for my weekly shopping and that meant there would be fried chicken for him. He would often wait for me until I came back and as soon as he saw me, he would be running to get me. He loved fried chicken but last Friday, he only nibbled on the fried chicken that I bought for him. It was as if all his appetite was gone. A few days ago he became terribly sick. He hid himself under the bed and only came out when I called him. I could detect the inevitable smell of death emanating from him. I immediately knew that he had been poisoned. I'm quite sure he had eaten grass which had been sprayed with insecticide or pesticide. I realised that the end was near and I had to be mentally prepared for it. I talked to my Mom and told her about the situation. From time to time, I would give him some fresh water to drink since that was all that he could manage to take. I knew he was suffering but I did not take him to the doctor. I did not want to put him to sleep. It is not something that I believe in. I've learned from past experiences that nothing much could be done when poison has entered a cat's bloodstream but I was still hoping that something miraculous would happen. My dear beloved Nomot did not make it. He finally breathed his last breath tonight. I was in the living room when I heard a choking sound from him. I knew that the time had come for me to say goodbye. I stroked his stiff body and whispered comforting words to him. I told him that everything was okay and he would go to a better place. My sweet protective Nomot died on my lap while I was still holding him. Goodbye Nomot and sleep tight. We will meet again in a beautiful place made for me and you. And I promise you there won't be any more suffering for us.