Tuesday, October 12, 2010

GUCCI IS GUILTY OF STRANGELOVE

Gucci has just launched its latest fragrance for women, Guilty which is said to be inspired by Barbara Streisand's song of the same title. Even the print ad for the new fragrance bears a striking resemblance to the album covers of Streisand's Guilty and A Star Is Born, one of my favourite movies of all time. All that was fine until I saw the ad campaign on television last week. I could not believe that they (don't ask me who they are since I don't really know) have used the anthem of my youth, Depeche Mode's Strangelove but by a different group for this commercial. Oh my heart! My aching heart. I'm sure there must be a lot of people out there who like Friendly Fires' version but DM's version is still the one that I hold close to my heart. Nothing can ever replace that version. Period. End of discussion. I love that song so much that I even posted two different versions of Strangelove video clips back in November 2008. Every time I listen to its haunting melody, deeply ambiguous lyrics, pulsating drum beats and lush hypnotising synths, I am taken into another world. Totally strangelove, I'd say. To me, they (again I don't know who they are) have committed a serious crime and it is totally 'unforgivable' (pun intended of course).