Wednesday, March 31, 2010

GETTING TO HAPPY

Getting To Happy? What the hell is that? Well, it's another book from Terry Mcmillan, the author of 'Waiting To Exhale', 'How Stella Got Her Groove Back' and a few others. It will only be released in September this year and I can hardly wait for September to be here (though I can be sure that it's going to be a while before it reaches here). I have always loved Terry McMillan's stories and I'm sure I'm going to love this one too. I have never heard of Terry McMillan until I watched 'Waiting To Exhale' (another movie in which Whitney Houston has a starring role). After watching that movie, I decided that I wanted to read the book. I finally found the book in a secondhand bookstore and I can safely say that it is one of my favourite reads. Since then I've bought a few other books by this amazing author and I have found them equally interesting. True, I had nothing in common (I still don't) with any of the main characters in her books (they are mostly African-American women by the way) yet I felt that I could relate to some of the situations and issues. I believe any story about people and relationships, hopes and disappointments, successes and failures, joy and sorrow are universal in nature. Such stories usually warm the heart and rejuvenate the soul. The characters and backgrounds are only platforms and means for the stories to be told. I like the way Terry usually writes since it reflects the African-American community which makes the stories much more realistic and believable. 'Getting To Happy' is going to continue where 'Waiting To Exhale' left. I truly hope a movie sequel is going to be in the works once the book is published. Well, I am happy now but I definitely don't mind Getting To Happier!