Sunday, April 17, 2011

GEORGE MICHAEL - TRUE FAITH

It was not too long ago when I put New Order's True Faith video clip (one of my favourite groups) here and now, it seems that George Michael has come up with his own version of this classic New Order staple. I love George Michael's haunting and soulful voice but I'm sorry to say that I don't like this version at all. I can't feel the song. In fact , it makes me feel quite numb in the brain. It might have something to do with the arrangement of this song or it could be the auto-tune used that totally turns me off. For someone who can easily bring a lot of emotions into his songs, I don't understand why he had to resort to using auto-tune for this cover. Just listen to You Have Been Loved, Jesus To A Child, A Different Corner, One More Try and Kissing A Fool and you'll know what a wonderful voice he has. This is also not the first time he has covered other singers' songs (which he has done amazingly). He covered The Police's Roxanne brilliantly and his rendition of The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face can melt almost anybody's heart. I'd say that his version of The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face is as good as Roberta Flack's, much, much better than Celine Dion's and will make Leona Lewis's version sound like an amateurish attempt. Well, I can only hope that the great George Michael will be back soon serenading us with his beautiful voice. Until then, you're still not forgiven, George.