Wednesday, June 17, 2009

PAYING HOMAGE OR JUST COPYCAT POSES?

I couldn't believe it when these pictures came out. My eyes almost popped out of their sockets and I had to restrain myself from throwing up. The fabulous poses of Brooke Shields from her Calvin Klein days have been copied by Gisele Bunchen and Kim Kardashian (shame on them). How unoriginal and how terrible since nothing can beat Brooke's original poses. It was Brooke who put Calvin on the fashion map when she appeared on a TV commercial more than 30 years ago mouthing the words 'Nothing comes between me and my Calvins. Nothing'. Gisele is already a top supermodel so I was quite surprised when her pose imitating Brooke's came out. She did not need to do this to justify her supermodel status. Kim, on the other hand, is just another talentless star wannabe and attention seeker like Paris Hilton (unless you count the bedroom skills she practised on Ray J in their infamous homemade video as talent). I'm sure you can see the similarity here so don't ask me to elaborate. She is just another pretty face with a big butt and those copied poses look quite comical. To me, these pictures are not even tributes to Brooke. They are just another marketing strategy to boost the sales of the publications in which these pictures were published. I guess some people will never stop at anything. Certain poses will forever be embedded in our minds as belonging to certain people. Lauren Bacall, Marilyn Monroe, Brigitte Bardot, Betty Grable, Bette Davis, Audrey Hepburn, Farrah Fawcett and numerous others have their own signature looks. Lauren Bacall, for example, is known for 'The Look' she created when she went for the screen test for her first movie. There have been too many Marilyn Monroe look-alikes but there will only be one Marilyn. The real Marilyn is dead and everybody knows you can't compete with a ghost. As much as I love Madonna (the early Madonna that is and not the present control freak she has become lately), she is just a cheap Marilyn rip-off. So to those who want to steal the limelight from others, stop being a copycat and develop your own look and style. As for me, I am like a chameleon and my looks are definitely original but they change according to my surroundings and mood. At the moment, I am sporting the 'Bitchy Look' and you definitely do not want to see it...