Tuesday, September 6, 2011

EID UL-FITR GREETING CARDS

Today is the 8th of Syawal and I'm back at work again after celebrating Eid with my family and friends. Each Eid is special in its own way to me and I am grateful for all the blessings that have been bestowed upon me. Most of my family members and friends were there for the celebration. I had enough food to serve to my guests. My house was adequately decorated (and most importantly, clean). Everyone (including my cats) was happy and in good health. The weather was fine and heavenly. I definitely couldn't ask for more (and I shouldn't). There was only one thing missing though. I no longer received any greeting cards from friends and relatives. No, I'm not talking about virtual cards that we can get for free on the Internet. I am referring to the old-fashioned greeting cards that we used to send back in the old days. How many of us still send this type of card every festive season? I don't even know anybody who does that on a regular basis anymore and I have to admit that the last greeting card that I sent was like 7 or 8 years ago. Sending these cards was almost like a ritual that I never missed doing until I, too, got hooked on sending virtual cards and wishes via the Internet or text messages. I really feel guilty abandoning this so-called ritual though I know how time-consuming and expensive it can be sometimes. True, sending wishes in this new era of technology is much easier and more convenient than it used to be but it certainly lacks the personal touch that we usually feel when we receive something special and personal. The feeling that we get upon receiving these old-fashioned greeting cards from loved ones via the mail is indescribable (at least it is to me anyway). An absolutely good feeling that tugs at the heart and warms the soul. It makes us want to savour and treasure that moment forever. It will certainly take a lot of effort on my part to start sending these greeting cards again but I hope I will be able to do it next year. I might start by sending a few cards to those whom I haven't seen in years (provided I still keep their addresses somewhere).


p/s I have a mild case of hoarding and I don't usually throw away any greeting cards that people sent to me. Some of these cards are more than 20 years old and I still treasure each and every single one of them.