Friday, May 1, 2009

YOUTUBE, DREAMING OF YOU AND ENDLESS LOVE

I'm mad at youtube. Again. Is it possible to be mad at something that has no life (and no soul too, I would say)? Yes, it is. In fact, it is very possible to feel that way. I tried to upload a self-made video (a song which only has one picture actually) to youtube since I know that not many people have heard of the song and what did youtube do? Yes, those magic words appear on the screen again. The same words that they publish every time someone tries to upload something that they think can still bring revenues for them. I don't mind if it's all a matter of principles but why now? Why not when youtube first started? I'm also questioning the fact that they are not being constant about where they stand. There are thousands of video clips which are very current and available on youtube but why do they have to pick on videos which came out about 20 years ago? I'm sick and tired of seeing the phrase "This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by a third party". Well, maybe they have a point there but let me tell you something. In my case, it's not easy for consumers to get the soundtrack anymore. A few CDs and records are available on ebay, Amazon and a few other websites but the CDs cost a fortune. The records are quite affordable but how many people have turntables anymore? It's not even worth buying the soundtrack if you want to listen to only one song that was not a hit or even a single back then (unless you are a die hard fan of the movie itself). In fact, I took the pain to transfer it from my old cassette tape from more than 28 years ago. So you can tell that the quality is not exactly studio quality. After all, what do you expect from a cassette tape that old? Well, here is the song that I was trying to upload to youtube. It's taken from the movie 'Endless Love' starring Brooke Shields and Martin Hewitt and sung by Diana Ross and Lionel Richie. For those who don't know, the evergreen 'Endless Love' is not the only song recorded by Diana Ross and Lionel Richie. This movie is also the first movie Tom Cruise made his film debut. I hope it won't be removed and I hope nobody (especially Miss Ross, Mr Lionel Richie or the co-writer, Thomas McClary) is going to sue me for copyright infringement. If anyone wants me to remove this self-made clip, just e-mail me at fadzali@hotmail.com.