Sunday, May 17, 2009

WHAT DAY NOW?

Another date goes down the calendar of human history as another important date. Yesterday was Teacher's Day and today? Today has been proclaimed World Telecommunication And Information Society Day but that is not all. Today is also World Hypertension Day. Wow! It seems that we need to celebrate or commemorate every single event or issue that we can think of. Gone are the days when we only celebrated a few events which were important to us. Now, every issue is important and every cause needs to have its own day in order to gain attention or be worthy of its existence. It seems like no cause can be considered as worthy unless it has its own day to celebrate. Of course, there is nothing wrong with the intentions of celebrating these days but sometimes, I feel that some of them are overrated and glorified unnecessarily. Certain dates are celebrated to raise awareness among members of society or to show support for a certain cause. I am all for that but to tell you the truth, it can be too superficial sometimes when no programmes or activities beneficial for the society are planned. Most of the time, we are not even aware of these days and the reasons behind their existence. We might get to know about them by chance when we see a big ad in the newspaper and that is about all. Well, since today is World Hypertension Day and I have no intention of increasing my blood pressure, let me stop here. Before I end this entry, by the power vested in me, I proclaim today as Sunday and tomorrow Monday.